Oily skin is something almost everyone having it are scared of. Greasy,gross,eewwyy etc are the terms associated with it but girl let me tell you, it is not that bad. There are ways to deal with it and if followed, it will make a huge change in your like. So just start going through the post to get all the tips and tricks I have for all of you out there.
Before anything, let’s talk about the problems faced due to oily skin and how it can affect the performance of your makeup.
- looking dull
- looking greasy
- not fresh
- not longlasting makeup
- cakey foundation
- patchy foundation
- too much sweating
- clogged pores
So no matter what makeup product you are using, cheap or expensive, if you are not taking care of your skin, nothing will work. Skin care is very important, take out 10 minutes for yourself daily and you will see your skin becoming healthy.
Skincare for Oil Skin:
This you have to do daily– It is very important to buy products according to your skin type so search for those with these keywords: ‘mattifying’, ‘oil-free’ OR “for oily skin”
Disclaimer: * Not all High-end/costly products are the best, you will find good ones from the drugstore too for a very cheaper price, important is consistency*
- Cleanse/Wash face- You can buy a cleansing milk or a face wash. Wash your face then let it air dry.
- Toner- Toner is used to close the pores that were opened while cleansing. Applying this is very important other wise dirt or any other particles will easily sit into the pores making it bigger.
- Moisturizer- The most important but most neglected product of our skincare. Skin that is not moisturized is like a plant not watered. Now, think how sad it could be. Moisturized skin feels and looks healthy at the same time it plums up your skin which is a huge help to a flawless foundation. Even if your skin is oily, it doesn’t mean it is hydrated or moisturized. That oil that your skin produces is different from the moisture your skin needs. So buy a moisturizer for oily skin, it will not be greasy or oily at all. By doing the previous 2 steps. you are already removing the excess oil on your skin so you are good to go 🙂
- Sunscreen- never ever forget to apply sunscreen before going out in the sun. Get one with at least an SPF50+
When you are asleep, that is actually the right time to treat your skin as it the time of the day when your skin and brain is relaxed, hence, it will absorb all the beautiful stuff that you are giving to it. So,take advantage of this time and give your skin the best treatment.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2
- Apply a night cream – Finding the right night cream can be very challenging and it is the only skin care product where I can push myself to spend a lot. After a lot of research, I actually found the ingredients I want mostly in high-end brands and let me tell you, it is so worth it. All products I use and recommend will be listed at the end of this post.With that being said, if you are already using one and are satisfied with it then continue using. Another option is to simply use oils. Argan oil, Sweet Almond oil, Coconut oil, Jojoba oil and many more! Google the benefits, and you will know. I like making my own oil and here is my recipe. Take care of your skin at night and you will see the result the very next day. Using oil is not at all harmful for oily skin, as I said earlier, the oil your face produces is different from the oils you are applying.
Twice a week :
- Scrub/exfoliate skin- another very important step. scrubbing means removing all the dead skin that has become a layer causing our skin to flake up. It will also help in controlling oil.
- Apply Face masks- buy any mask but avoid those that says :Hydrating”
My recommended brands for skincare: Botanics from Boots Pharmacy, Olay, Nivea, GlowRadiance, Maxon,Ponds, Himalaya, Freeman
My skincare products:
I have combination skin(dry cheeks and oily T-zone)
- GlowRadiance Pura foaming gel ( suitable for all skin types)
- Sephora Toner
- Coconut Oil as moisturizer
- Maxon 100 sunscreen
- GlowRadiance Age Defy cream mixed with coconut oil as night cream
- Botanics Microdermabrasion Face polish to exfoliate
- 7th Heaven and Jeunesse face masks – any flavor
Check out www.basharashop.com to get GlowRadiance and Maxon products with discount and free gifts using my code “Veenagift” , with this code, you get 20% off on your purchase and the buyer will receive a body mist, a body wash or a body lotion free and 3 products samples. If the total amount is more than 300AED, the buyer will receive one very beautiful bag.
They were so nice to give my readers this benefit since they know how much I love the products I am using. <3
Since we are discussing skin care, let me add this information too that you need to have a makeup remover too. Makeup removers are designed specially to remove makeup which your normal cleanser won’t do thoroughly. so, get one makeup remover for all over face and separate of eye makeup removing. If you can get these 2 in 1, then awesome.
My favorite makeup removers are Bioderma, Neutrogena , Nivea eye makeup remover, Sephora Eye makeup remover ,Garnier Micellar Water and GlowRadiance Micellar Water.
Doing all the above steps doesn’t mean you will get results in one day. Have patience and you will eventually see results in about 3 weeks or more.
Now that we have taken care of our skin, let’s move on to the fun part which makeup. Yippie!
Let’s say you have done steps 1 to 3, apply foundation while skin is still tacky due to the moisturizer and make sure it is not completely dry. So the drill is, apply moisturizer/oil , wait for 3 to 5 minutes then apply foundation for oily skin.
For the makeup products esp the foundation and powders, make sure your buying one that is for your skin type which is for oily skin. Foundations and powders come in different types for different skin types, foundations for oily skin have less or no oil while for dry skin it is the opposite. So if you have oily skin and using foundation for dry skin, then it will make you look more oily.
No matter, still you need to moisturize because we want our foundation to be flawless.
Recommendations: Foundations for Oily skin
- Revlon Colorstay Makeup for oily skin– One of the best high-end foundation in a drugstore brand. By high-end I mean HIGH in quality. Feels very light at the same time good coverage. Coverage: Buildable This foundation is even known to be exact dupe of Estee Lauder Double Wear.
- Loreal True Match Super-Blendable Foundation– The only foundation that I found suited for almost all skin types, be it dry,normal or oily, this is my holy grail foundation. It definitely is SUPER blendable with very good coverage but not cakey. Coverage: Medium to High
- Milani Conceal+Perfect 2in1 Foundation– This for me is like a magic foundation. This was the only foundation I had when I had to do makeup on 3 to 4 faces and surprisingly the color matched and suited their skintypes. Coverage is full, feels very light , long lasting and did not break me out at all.
- Loreal Infallible Pro-Matte–One of the best full coverage matte foundation out there. It literally gives you another layer of flawless skin but this foundation can be a hit or miss for some as it can feel cakey. Hey, it is full coverage matte so that’s expected. Now your skills in blending will be tested here full time. The better you blend, the best your foundation will look like.
- Paese sebum Control- This is one of those foundations that is on my top shelf so I can reach for it most of the time. I just feel this foundation is the easiest to use, very lightweight yet buildable. You can apply two layers and get to cover all imperfections, matte and not greasy at all.
Hold on, there is one more foundation which is last but definitely not the least. This is the first ever foundation that won my heart. One of the best! Karaja Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Makeup
It blends so beautifully , light weight, full coverage, matte but not drying that will enhance dry patches on skin. It is inexpensive product that I will call a magic potion for my skin. I know it sounds dramatic but it is the truth.
Extra Tips For Oily Skin:
- Apply oil to moisturizer skin as it gives a very smooth surface to your foundation making it easy to blend.
- Apply coconut oil under the eyes using ring finger while patting to avoid cracked concealer and creasing.
- Exfoliate and apply mask after following steps 1 to 3 , one day before applying full makeup. It will help in nourishing skin and preparing it for your desired makeup.
- drink lots of water to stay hydrated, results will show on your skin.
- exfoliate at least twice a week, so you don’t see flakiness after foundation.
- use mattifying powders as it plays a huge role in keeping makeup oil-free
- avoid too much powder
- apply less foundation and blend well, add only if needed.
To buy Karaja foundation at 30% off ,use code VH6578 HERE
If you reached to this point, I would like to thank you for taking out time reading and would appreciate if you can share this as someone might just benefit 🙂
To get updates on my latest beauty related articles, sign up on the right side bar box, LIKE my Facebookpage, follow me on Instagram and join my Facebook group VEENAZWORLD to watch my live demos on makeup and skincare.
Very detailed information. ..Thanks for ue valuable advices. …
You’re welcome dear
Hi lovely n informative post.
If feasible mention prices with every product.
Veena dear if I’m not wrong once you mentioned estee lauder foundation for oily skin as well.
Can you share your your experience which is the the best milani or estee lauder???
Yes,From high end estee lauder is good.
Estee lauder is heavy as it is very full coverage
Milani feels light but full coverage too. If you think you can blend and apply estee lauder well,go for it. No doubt it is veey good. But if applied wrongly can make you look cakey
Thankyou so much dear….very informative….this is the thing I want it from you….coz after watching videos some steps can be missed but its in written……by the way I think I have a combination skin ( in summers it is oily n in winters it’s dry)..I don’t know…so if I have a combination skin can I go for this routine and makeup products too…thanks
Yes,combination skin should follow this routine